Megarex is a small, in-home cattery in northwest New Jersey, USA, about an hour from New York City and 90 minutes from Philadelphia.
I have been involved with pedigreed cats since 1997, working first with Bengals, then Singapuras in TICA and CFA, breeding and showing under the cattery name Shiverden. From 1999-2001 I served as the Breed Committee chair for the Singapura in TICA. I served as Vice President and co-founder of the AcrobaTICAts cat club; our club sponsored the Bengal breed’s national gathering “On Safari” at our show in November 2000.
When I met my first Devons I was captivated by their elfin expression and curly coats, as well as their outgoing and affectionate personalities. They are constantly underfoot and very entertaining. When I met my first Burmilla, I was instantly enamoured of their sparkling white ticked coats and their brilliant green eyes, but their gentle and loving personalities are the icing on the cake. The Burmilla are just as intelligent but much calmer than the Devons, and offer a nice respite from all the Devon craziness when they come to you for a snuggle and kisses.
Before I started breeding I volunteered at, and served on the board of directors for, a kill-shelter in my local area. For four years (before I became a mom!) it was my second full-time job after working at my “real” full-time job. Many of my breeding and kitten adoption policies are driven by that experience, which fuels my desire to promote responsible breeding practices and to encourage loving, lifelong, pet ownership.
We also raise our cats with two dogs, one large and one small. However in our house, size is irrelevant; family is family.
My breeding philosophies are straightforward:
- We remain small so that we can focus our efforts, providing one-on-one care and attention to each cat.
- We breed not only for good looks, but also for health and excellent temperament.
- We participate in cat shows, both CFA and TICA, in order to meet the public, network with other cat breeders, keep track of how our cats are progressing relative to others of the same breed … and to have fun
- We feed high quality nutritious foods and work to maintain a stimulating home environment, for the health & happiness of our cats and the proper development of our kittens.
- We perform genetic and other health testing on all of our breeding cats, and many of our kittens.
- We provide a written sales contract & a conditional health guarantee.
If you have questions, we can be reached via email bonibaru @ gmail.com or via Facebook (link to the right).